Monday, February 17, 2014

Game building



Here I am puzzling out how to proceed with the tic-tac-toe game-within-a-game. So far, I've made game cels that can rez objects that are in another object's inventory, learning, along the way, that objects have inventories just like avatars (well, similarly). I've gotten a bit more comfortable with some data types that are specific to lsl, such as, vectors, which encode positions of objects, among other things. I've also learned about quaternions, which is the data type for the rotations of objects. Right now I'm in the middle of figuring out how to make the script for the whole game (which should be a complex linked object) interact with the scripts in each individual cel. The idea is to have the game check for a win situation (i.e. three of the same element across, down or diagonal) every time a piece is placed in a cel. I have no idea if this is the best way to go about doing this with SL object and lsl, but I'm forging ahead!

7 comments:

  1. I always thought It was really cool to have games within games lie you're making (I saw some cool stuff in minecraft.........) but its all gibberish to me. Maybe one day I'll hit my head and suddenly be good at math and codes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your game picture looks amazing. I think you are doing a great job with the game building. The lesson you gave your fellow travelers was awesome. Keep up the advancements!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Colleen. Your "class" on scripting was great. It was fun to be together in one space and trying things out. It is great to have people with knowledge in the class, since I have zero :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muffle! Just wanted to thank you again on showing us a thing a or two on scripting! You did a wonderful job on the tic tac toe game as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job Muffle helping us learn about scripting and playing tic tac toe. I really enjoyed the lesson. It just goes to strengthen my thoughts on how much we can really do in the virtual world. I am looking forward to learning more from all of our classmates. thanks Muffle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with this mini-game. It may not be as polished as you had envisioned, like having the game check for a win, but it really is impressive. Also, I gave up on quaternions about ten minutes after finding out about them - it was just too much for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norana,
      I think I came to the same conclusion about quaternions. Haven't given up though. I'm going to try one more time to wrap my head around the concept. I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete